Hi everyone, welcome to Souped Up Recipes. Today we are making sweet and sour belt fish (Tang Cu Dai Yu 糖醋带鱼). Tang Cu means sweet and sour. It is a popular flavor in chinese cuisine, which has many versions, such as pork, chicken, ribs. You can use other types of fish but belt fish is a classic.
🥢BUY MY WOK (In-Stock Now! Shipping ASAP)
USA – https://soupeduprecipes.com/carbon-steel-wok-with-flat-bottom/
CANADA – https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RJ39JVL
AUSTRALIA – https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07RJ39JVL?ref=myi_title_dp
Rest of the world – https://forms.gle/r2YBBgtZbCejToVk8 (pre-order)
🥢PRINTABLE RECIPE – https://soupeduprecipes.com/sweet-and-sour-belt-fish/
🥢MY AMAZON INFLUENCER PAGE – https://www.amazon.com/shop/influencer-078efbf8 (I share ingredients and recommended products there)
🥢SUPPORT ME ON PATREON – https://www.patreon.com/soupeduprecipes
– 500 g (1.1 lb) of belt fish
– 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
– 2 inches of ginger, smashed
– 2 pieces of scallion, smashed
– 1 tbsp of sichuan peppercorns
– 1.5 tbsp of Shao xing wine (Amazon Link – https://amzn.to/3d7FTdz)
– 1/4 tsp of salt
– 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce (Amazon Link – https://amzn.to/2yz8Gsr)
– 1.5 cup of frying oil to deep fry the fish
– 1/4 cup of sugar
– 2.5 tbsp of soy sauce (Amazon Link – https://amzn.to/2X73t4O)
– 2.5 tbsp of ketchup
– 2 tbsp of white vinegar (Amazon Link – https://amzn.to/3gpXWOi)
– 3 piece of preserved plum (optional) (Amazon Link – https://amzn.to/2zqWMBA)
– 1/2 cup of water
– 1 tbsp of oil for stir frying
– 4 cloves of garlic
– 4 slices of ginger
– 3 pieces of dried red chilies (Amazon Link – https://amzn.to/2TBPwJV)
– Scallion and sesame seeds as garnish
– You will need 500 g of belt fish. Use a clean stainless steel scrubber to remove the metallic silver skin. Rinse with water.
– Use a paper towel to pull the fin off. Cut the belt fish into 1.5 wide pieces. Dried the fish with paper towels.
– Marinade the fish with 4 cloves of smashed garlic, 2 inches of crushed ginger, 2 pieces of scallion, 1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorns, 1.5 tbsp of Shao xing wine, 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce, and 1/4 tsp of salt. Mix it well. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 1 hour.
– Make the sweet and sour sauce. In a sauce bowl, combined the following ingredients: 1/4 cup of sugar, 2.5 tbsp of soy sauce 2.5 tbsp, 2.5 tbsp of ketchup, 2 tbsp of white vinegar, 3 pieces of preserved plums, and 1/2 cup of water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Set it aside.
– Bring 1.5 cup of oil to 360 F. Deep fry the fish over medium heat. Each side need 3-5 minutes. Once the fish is golden brown, take them out and set it aside.
– Add a tbsp of oil to the wok along with 4 cloves of garlic, 4 slice of ginger and 3 pieces of dry red chilies. Stir them over medium heat until fragrant.
– Add the sweet and sauce and the fried fish. Adjust them so all the pieces are touching the sauce. Bring this to a boil. Turn the heat to low. Cover it. Let simmer for 5 minutes. 5 minutes later, Flip all the pieces over to let the other side to touch the sauce as well. Cover it, let it simmer for another 5 minutes. And you are done. Enjoy!